Decide Which Employees to Record | Recordkeeping Guidelines

On your 300 Log, enter the recordable injuries and illnesses of all employees on your payroll, whether they are labor, executive, hourly, salary, part-time, seasonal, or migrant workers. Also enter the recordable injuries and illnesses that occur to employees who are not on your payroll, such as temporary and leased workers, if you supervise them on a day-to-day basis.

If your business is organized as a sole proprietorship or partnership, the owner or partners are not considered employees for recordkeeping purposes. Likewise, self-employed individuals are not covered by the recordkeeping regulation and you do not need to record it if they become ill or are injured while doing work in your establishment.

Temporary and Contractor's Employees

When injuries or illnesses occur to employees from a temporary help service, employee leasing service, or personnel supply service, record them on your 300 Log if you supervise them on a day-to-day basis.

If a contractor's employee is under the daily supervision of the contractor, the contractor is responsible for recording the injury or illness. But, if you supervise the contractor employee's work on a day-to-day basis, record the injury or illness on your 300 Log.

Each injury or illness must be recorded only once. You and the temporary help service, employee leasing service, personnel supply service, or contractor need to coordinate the recordkeeping to make sure that each injury and illness is recorded only once, either on your 300 Log (if you provide daily supervision) or on the other employer's 300 Log (if that company provides daily supervision).

Employee Training and Involvement

OSHA requires that your employees and their representatives be involved in the recordkeeping system in the following ways:

  • Inform each employee of how he or she is to report an injury or illness. Set up a way for them to report work-related injuries and illnesses promptly, and explain the reporting method to them.

  • Provide limited access to your injury and illness records for your employees, former employees, and their representatives (authorized collective bargaining agent, a person designated in writing by the employee, or the legal representative of a deceased or legally incapacitated employee or former employee). You can't charge for these copies the first time they are provided. However, if one of the designated persons asks for additional copies, you may assess a reasonable charge for retrieving and copying the records.

The Occupational Safety and Health Act prohibits you from discriminating against an employee for reporting a work-related fatality, injury, or illness. The Act also protects employees who file a safety and health complaint, ask for access to the injury and illness records, or otherwise exercise their rights under the OSH Act.

No comments:

Popular Posts